Thursday, August 16, 2012

Phish @ Long Beach Arena (8.15.12)

Phish @ Long Beach Arena
Can't I live while I'm young? For a very long time I have had Phish on my list of bands to see... I've had this list really since Jerry Garcia died one month before I was to see the Grateful Dead for the first time. I have been kicking myself since 2004 for having missed my chance to see them at their Coventry, VT show, which was subsequently their last before the reunion.

In any case, such a great show! Great people, great music, great vibe. So chill didn't need to bust out the hippy digger and was able to get right down front and snap off a few.

Phish @ Long Beach Arena
There really were so many different types of people there. Unfortunately, you don't see enough of some of them in Orange County. My friend suggested I start asking all the hippie chicks where they hang out here because clearly it's not in plain sight. I was also surprised to find the standard OC bro's and the default OC girls represented as well.

The sound quality was actually very good at the Long Beach Arena. That's based on the spot I was in for the first set (towards the front dead center). My concert co-conspirator wasn't really feeling the squeezin in up front though so we were at the edge of the stage on the right for the second set, but that's ok because we had more room to dance around and get videos like this:



So many projectiles... You damn kids... Gonna put someones eyes out.

When they played Stash I was a bit surprised by the clapping as I was convinced some of the claps only happened twice instead of 3 times. In the original recording it's more "two-ish" than three. Probably easier for a group clap along to do 3 always though.

Phish @ Long Beach Arena

For those looking for specific songs, they played Bathtub Gin, Rift, and Down With Disease of course and even a great Zeppelin cover. Their encore Julius was great too. Really though it was just so much fun listening to them jam regardless of songs. I would have taken more detailed notes about what songs they were playing and more photos etc, but I was having too much fun dancing around and watching the people. If you are dying to know though, the set list is here. It was the perfect chance to surround myself with good music, good people and just blow off some steam.

No comments: