Saturday, October 29, 2011

Anamanaguchi @ The Troubadour (10.28.11)

Anamanaguchi @ The Troubadour

For all you peeps thinking I just go see folk bands and listen to old sad bastard music, I have one reply, ANAMANAGUCHI. What's that you say? You too only listen to old sad bastard music from Norway and Scotland? Anamanaguchi is an 8bit chiptune band. Essentially they compose songs using the synth (modeled or extracted) from an NES system (the original none of this SNES BS).

Having heard a few assorted tracks I was curious how these guys were going to pull it off live. Hear that guitar in the background? Yeah that was what was live at the show. The synths were all presequenced, but it doesn't really matter it was still an awsome show!

They started the evening tossing a box full of glowsticks into the crowd and then all hell broke loose. The photo above is the only one I managed to snap off before the troubadour turned into a pit as I was barely able to hold onto the camera. After that the night was a blur of lights, synths, guitars and bodies flying around. I am writing this a bit belatedly, so unfortunately I can't say much more than that. I highly recommend checking them out.

------------------------------------
Authors Note: Over the last few years I have become a bit perterbed with how teritorial CA concert goers are. From people blocking large areas in front of the stage for missing friends coming back to rail whores etc... On this particular night there was a girl leaning against the wall in the back. I walked up and was standing about 2-3 meters in front... "Hey man, you're in my way" to which I responded "It's a concert." Considering where the evening went that comment is even more amusing.

No comments: